Summer Health & Wellness Tips

July 18, 2016

 

Summer is in full swing! It’s time to get ready and be prepared for the heat, sun, and the great outdoors, all while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Keep these summer wellness tips in mind this season!  

 

Stay Hydrated: Drink lots of water during the hot months. Before heading out for the day, plan on drinking at least one hour before your adventure. It’s best to aim for 10, eight ounce glasses per day in order to keep kidneys functioning properly and flush toxins from the body. If water doesn’t excite you much, the summer is a perfect time to try infusing water with some fresh fruits. Delicious, nutritious and hydrating! 

 

Catch Those Vitamin D Rays: Summer is a great time to get the necessary amounts of Vitamin D, which helps to boost your mood, immunity and energy! While you can get small amounts from food, the best way to reach your needed Vitamin D levels is by sun exposure to the skin. Although sunscreen is important, it can unfortunately interfere with the absorption of Vitamin D. 15-30 minutes is adequate unprotected exposure for Vitamin D.

 

Sunscreen is a Must: After taking your 15 minutes of Vitamin D, be sure to practice SAFE sun habits. Protection is important but be sure to lather up with sunscreen free of PABA, OMC, 4-MBC, Benzophene-3 or Homosalate, which have been linked to an increased risk for skin cancer. For some extra protection, hats are a great option.

 

Fend off Mosquitos Naturally: Essential oils are natural deterrents for pesky biting insects and are free of harmful chemicals like DEET. Do your research carefully when using essential oils and make sure the information you gather is from a credible source. If essential oils are not for you, perhaps try adding plants around your house that repel mosquitoes naturally. Citronella, Lemon Balm and Catnip are a few of the many plants to choose from.

 

Spend Time Outdoors: Research shows that the average American spends 87% of their time in enclosed buildings and 6% of their time in enclosed vehicles. That’s a total of 93% of your life spent inside. This is unhealthy -- for body, mind, and spirit. Now that the weather is nice, it’s crucial to embrace the outdoors as much as possible. Head to the beach, a local park, go for a walk, or simple grab a book, find a bench and read outside. The benefits of fresh air and nature are endless for your wellness.

 

Daily Exercise: This winter’s cold, icy weather was a valid reason for not getting out as much for outdoor activities. Now that summer is here, there is no excuse! Hiking, biking, running and walking are all great ways to boost energy and fitness levels. Exercising will help you to feel better both physically and mentally.

 

Increase your Intake of Fruits and Vegetables: Summer means plenty of fruits and vegetables are available. The farmers markets are up and running and with so many options during this time of year, you can really get creative and have fun! Vegetables and fruits have many properties for protecting your health from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and much more. By eating from the earth, you can give your body the vitamins and minerals it craves!

 

Stick to your Regular Wellness Schedule: There’s no vacation when it comes to your health! Continue your normal wellness schedule throughout these months in order to stay on track and maintain good health and happiness. In fact, summer may be a great time to try something new to improve wellness. Yoga? Reiki? Massage Therapy? There’s something for everyone at Sand Hills Community Wellness Center, and summer is a great time to explore our wellness opportunities! 

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Featured Posts

Benefits of Massage Therapy for “Everybody Deserves a Massage Week!”

July 14, 2018

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive